6 – 8 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Start to clean out things you won’t bring with you. Take unwanted items to charity or contact Silent Bidders to plan the sale of those household contents. (Silent Bidders – 905-259-9017).
- Start shopping for a mover. Request an on-site estimate in writing. Ensure there are no hidden fees.
(HILLS MOVING provides professional moving. All packing supplies included. HILLS MOVING – 647-460-3650).
- Prepare a moving file to keep all your moving related expenses for tax deductions, including mover, travel, lodging and meals.
2 – 4 Weeks Before Moving Day
- Call charities for pick up of unwanted clothing and furniture.
- If packing yourself, purchase cartons and proper packing materials from your mover. (HILLS MOVING provides all your packing supplies for free. Wardrobe boxes are available on your moving day).
- Fill and transfer prescriptions for family and pets. Pack them to travel with you.
- Prepare a floor plan of your new home for placement of furniture and personal belongings.
1 Week Before Moving Day
- Defrost refrigerator and freezer and allow for sufficient dry time to prevent any mildew.
- Clean and disconnect all major appliances.
- Use up or arrange for disposal of perishables.
- Drain gas and oil from lawnmowers and other power equipment. Cars and motorcycles should only have a ¼ tank of gas.
- Drain garden hoses.
- Collect valuables, including safety deposit box, and safely pack to take with you.
- Pack items to be taken with you and label Do Not Move.
- Prepare a list of items you’ll need immediately at destination, such as a flashlight, light bulbs, toilet paper, cleaning supplies, snacks and drinks. Be sure to load it last on the truck or take it with you.
- Confirm travel arrangements.
- Finish packing.
- Gather personal records: medical, dental, vet, school.
- Transfer school records in advance to new school.
- Send change of address notice to: Canada Post, Health Card, Driver’s License, Vehicle Registration, Insurance, Banking, Lawyer, Credit Cards, Human Resources Canada, Revenue Canada, Provincial Social Services, Employer, Magazines, Newspapers, Mail Order Accounts, Library, Memberships, Friends/Relatives.
- Make arrangements to disconnect and connect: Hydro, Gas/Oil, Water, Telephone, Cable, Internet Provider, Alarm
- Make arrangements to service: Appliances, Pool, Other: ________________
- Be available to check items on inventory sheet.
- Have payment ready for movers.
- Conduct a last minute walk through with your Hills Moving driver and give any special instructions you may have.
- Read all utility meters.
- Adjust furnace, turn off lights, close windows and lock doors.
- Leave keys at agreed upon location for new occupants.
- Advise your Hills Moving driver of your destination contact number and confirm delivery address and date.
- Try and be available at your new home to check off items on the inventory sheet as they are removed from the van.